Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1600 Dual TV Tuner
WinTV-HVR-1600 brings over-the-air high definition ATSC digital TV, clear QAM
digital cable TV and analog cable TV to your PC. Watch and record TV in a window
or full screen using high quality MPEG-2.
Clear QAM TV channels are unencrypted digital TV channels broadcast by your
local cable operator. Many cable operators in North America are transmitting the
high definition ATSC channels on their cable networks. They also broadcast the
basic cable channels in using clear QAM. You can use the WinTV v6 application to
watch and record these channels.
ATSC digital TV is the over-the-air HD digital TV for North America. ATSC
digital TV typically requires an antenna for reception, and is currently
broadcast in 200 cities, with over 1500 TV stations. ATSC broadcasts range in
resolution from standard definition up to the high definition 1080i format. The
WinTV-HVR can be used to watch and record all ATSC formats.
ATSC digital TV brings you sharper pictures and enriches your PC’s multimedia
experience with near CD quality sound. WinTV-HVR’s ATSC digital TV tuner adds
great features to your TV viewing: high definition TV reception, automatic
identification of channel names plus records high-definition digital TV programs
to your PC’s hard disk in an MPEG-2 format without any loss in quality
Note: ATSC digital TV is NOT digital cable TV or digital
satellite TV. The WinTV-HVR-1600 cannot receive digital satellite TV.
Create your own personal Digital Video Recorder! Record cable TV or ATSC
digital TV shows to disk with MPEG-2. Use the WinTV-Scheduler to schedule the
recordings of your favorite analog or ATSC digital TV programs. Play the
recordings back to your PC screen at any time.
Control your cable TV or satellite set top box with WinTV-HVR-1600’s IR
Blaster. Both the WinTV2000 and WinTV-Scheduler can automatically control the
channel on your set top box, so you no longer need to manually change set top
Are you using Windows XP Media Center Edition or Vista? If so, you can add
WinTV-HVR-1600 as either the primary or as the second TV tuner. The Microsoft
Media Center application* supports up to two TV tuners, so you can watch one TV
channel while recording another! And WinTV-HVR-1600 has Windows Vista Premium
Technically speaking: WinTV-HVR-1600 contains two tuners: a ATSC digital TV
tuner for over the air digital TV reception plus a 125-channel cable ready TV
tuner. For ATSC digital TV, all 18 ATSC formats including 1080i can be watched
or recorded to disk as a Program Stream. A highly integrated MPEG-1/2 hardware
encoder is on-board for recording analog cable TV to disk. The playback of the
recorded ATSC digital or MPEG-1/-2 encoded analog program is done through a
software MPEG-2 player
Analog TV features
- Watch hi-definition ATSC digital TV and clear QAM digital TV on your
PC! Analog cable TV, too!
- Dual format TV tuner for your PC. Watch ATSC and clear QAM digital TV
or analog cable TV, in a window or full screen.
- Watch and record all digital TV formats, including the highest
definition 1080i format
- Includes TV scheduler, remote control and IR blaster to control
satellite and cable TV set top boxes.
- WinTV-HVR-1600 model 1178, 1181 and 1199 WinTV-HVR-1600 has these great
- Watch analog or digital TV on your PC screen, in a window or full
- Watch and record clear QAM digital cable TV. Clear QAM digital TV are
unencrypted digital TV channels broadcast by your local cable operator
on their cable TV networks.
- Watch and record ATSC high definition digital TV on your PC. ATSC HD
is the over-the-air high definition TV standard for North America.
- Watch and record analog cable TV. The WinTV-HVR-1600 has a built-in
hardware MPEG-2 encoder, so your PC continues to run at full speed while
recording analog cable TV.
- Includes Hauppauge's WinTV v6 application. If you live in an area
where you can receive both ATSC digital and analog TV over the air, you
can switch between analog and digital channels automatically.
- Includes an IR blaster to change the channel on your satellite or
cable TV set top box.
- Bundled software includes a TV scheduler with link to TitanTV™ plus
Ulead's® DVD MovieFactory™ authoring and burning software.
- Digital Clear QAM features
If you are using digital cable which broadcasts digital cable channels
"in the clear" (clear QAM), you can receive these QAM channels
with the new WinTV v6 application. Note: not all cable TV networks broadcast
clear QAM channels Note: Vista Media Center does not currently support clear
QAM channels. To watch clear QAM channels, you should use the Hauppauge
WinTV v6 application.
- Digital ATSC HD TV features
- ATSC over-the-air digital TV tuner built-in. Supports all ATSC formats, up
to the high definition 1080i format!
- Record ATSC digital TV to your PC's hard disk using high quality MPEG-2.
TV recordings will typically consume 5 Gb of disk space per hour for ATSC
- 125 channel cable ready TV tuner built-in. With dbx-TV stereo decoder, for
great TV sound.
- Composite/S-Video and audio inputs, for cable or satellite set top boxes
- Record TV shows to your PC's hard disk using the built-in high quality
hardware MPEG-2 encoder. While recording, the hardware encoder does all the
work so your PC continues to run at full speed! 1-2 Gigabytes of disk is
used per hour of recorded video.
Minimum System Requirements
- Processor requirements (minimum):
- 1.0 GHz Intel P4 or equivalent (for cable TV)
- 2.2 GHz Intel P4 or equivalent (for ATSC digital TV)
- Microsoft Windows Vista or XP with Service Pack 2. WinTV-HVR-1600 is
Windows Vista Premium certified*.
- Available PCI slot.
- Graphics with 64 MB memory (or greater).
- Sound card.
- DVD or CD writer for burning Video CD's, S-VCD's or DVD's (optional)